Administrator (Part Time Maternity Cover)
9:38 partners with local churches to help people consider full-time gospel ministry. We are seeking to appoint someone who is organised, hard-working, administratively competent and who shares our vision for raising up a new generation of gospel workers. Interviews throughout August.
About the Role
For nearly two decades 9:38 has partnered with local churches, supporting them as they raise up the next generation of gospel workers. Over these years, many people have had the opportunity to consider full-time gospel work at 9:38 Conferences and many churches have set up Ministry Trainee Schemes to identify and train gospel workers. The need for gospel workers in the UK and oversees remains huge and we believe that, at this time, 9:38 can and must continue to play a vital role, partnering local churches to meet this need.
The tasks carried out by the 9:38 Administrator are wide-ranging and yet are fundamentally concerned with keeping the ministry of 9:38 “ticking over” so that local churches are supported and individuals are given the opportunity to consider full-time gospel ministry. Some of the key responsibilities of the Administrator are as follows:
A major aspect of our work is to organise conferences, mainly to help people consider full-time gospel ministry. In 2017/18 we plan to run seven conferences, six day-conferences for students and workers considering gospel ministry and one weekend-conference for those who are currently serving as Ministry Trainees. In particular, the Administrator would:
- Liaise with the relevant individuals to plan the various national and regional conferences.
- Take responsibility for most of the “behind the scenes” work, for example liaising with venues, commissioning and distributing publicity, communicating with delegates and collecting feedback.
- Assist in establishing new conferences, as and when the Director, Chairman and Executive Committee believe it is appropriate to do so.
Website / Social Media
We are eager to serve churches and those considering full-time gospel ministry through our website and social media presence. In particular, the administrator would:
- Post Ministry Trainee vacancies from churches on the 9:38 website and promote these vacancies on social media.
- Manage the 9:38 social media presence more generally so that people are kept up to date with our work.
- Produce a quarter e-newsletter for our supporters and uploading blog posts (written by others) on the 9:38 website.
- Manage the 9:38 accounts, keeping track of spending and income and submitting our annual return to the Charity Commission.
- Liaise with our financial supporters, to thank them for their support and, when necessary, to request further support.
- From time-to-time, as directed by the Director, Chairman or Executive Committee, the Administrator may be asked to attend other conventions to promote the work of 9:38.
- The nature of these posts and its link to the ethos of 9:38 gives rise to a genuine occupational requirement for the Administrator to be a Christian. He or she will be required to demonstrate a clear, personal commitment to the Christian faith as articulated in the 9:38 Statement of Faith.
- The applicant should have experience and a proven track record in effective administration. In particular the applicant should be highly organised, very competent with IT, able to take the initiative and, after induction, able to manage the 9:38 website and social media pages.
- No formal accounting qualifications are required but the applicant should, after induction, be able to manage the 9:38 accounts.
- Since the role involves maintaining relationships with local churches, good communication skills (electronic and personal) are essential.
- It is desirable but not necessary that the applicant has had experience as a Ministry Trainee / Church apprentice.
Terms of Employment
- Working Hours – the Administrator’s basic contract involves 2 days per week. However, at particularly busy times of the year and in order to attend conferences, the Administrator may need to work extra hours / days. The Administrator may, subject to approval and review, choose to work on two specific days of the week or work on a flexible basis across a larger number of days.
- Salary – the Administrator’s basic salary is £10,000 per annum. Extra working hours would be remunerated at the prevailing living wage (currently £9.40 / hour).
- Holidays – the Administrator is entitled to 8 days of paid leave per year (i.e. four weeks in which they do not work).
- Oversight – the Administrator will report to the Director or Chairman on a weekly basis and, more occasionally, to the Executive Committee and Trustees.
- Training – 9:38 will pay for the Administrator to pay for the Church Administrators’ Conference.
- Probationary period - there will be a probationary period of six months. At the end of this period there will be a review, which, if satisfactory, will result in the confirmation of your employment. During the probationary period either party can terminate employment by giving two week’s notice.
© Nine Thirty Eight. The job specification and terms of employment contained in this document are subject to modification. Prospective applicants will be informed should any changes take place and the successful applicant will sign a contract, which will represent the confirmed terms of employment.