Other / Preaching Opportunities / Youth Ministry / Children's Ministry
A Ministry Trainee to join a conservative evangelical church for one-year to be trained for future service, whether formally or informally in the local church.
About the Role
A conservative evangelical church, in a suburban area of mixed housing, with a high percentage of professionals in both church and parish. Sunday attendance varies from 120 to 200 in the mornings, 30-40 in the evening. This includes a good number of young people 0-18 years. There are two primary schools in the parish, a high school just outside and a variety of nearby independent schools. The church staff consists of vicar, youth children & families minister, ministry trainee(s) and part-time secretary.
Main Areas of Ministry of the Church
We are committed to a Bible teaching ministry, and seek to make evangelism the priority of our church.
Main areas of work as follows:
- Families – we have a policy of aiming to reach whole families. We aim to cater for all ages on a Sunday morning and mid-teens upwards on a Sunday evening. We run a range of activities for all ages and actively pursue adult evangelism through regular Christianity Explored courses & similar. Fortnightly homegroups for bible study and prayer.
- Youth – younger teens Sunday morning; older teens Sunday morning and midweek bible study. Friday night outreach clubs on relationship-building model.
- Men – regular evangelistic breakfasts; men’s discipleship group, dads & kids group and reading one to one.
- Women – midweek women’s bible study, and some discipleship by more mature church members.
Role of Ministry Trainee
We are looking for a Ministry Trainee to join us for one-year (possibly extending to a second year) from 1 September 2017. The Ministry Trainee role is about being trained for future service, whether formally or informally in the local church. The position is ideal for someone considering full-time Bible-teaching ministry in the future. The main focus will be on bible teaching and outreach, to include some of the following:
- Sharing in the preaching ministry, both Sunday and midweek services, as appropriate (i.e. male trainee – according to experience, this could be monthly for any given service). Some preaching opportunities at neighbouring churches may be available.
- Assisting in the leadership of outreach courses (Christianity Explored) and discipleship courses.
- Assisting in the leadership of a homegroup. This may include preparation of study material
- Assisting in the presentation of training courses for church members. This might include evangelism training, bible teaching skills etc.
- Develop ministry to those in 18-30 age group. There are a small number of church members in this age bracket.
- Meet with individuals for bible study and prayer.
- Helping with youth work, under direction of the youth children & families minister.
There will be a small amount of time spent on practical jobs – PowerPoint presentations, leaflet distribution.
- North West Partnership Training Course (www.northwestpartnership.com). This course covers Biblical theology, exposition, doctrine and practical ministry, as well as practice Bible talks with feedback.
- Weekly meeting with the vicar for help in preparation, feedback and ministry review.
- Time allowed for personal study if desired e.g. NT Greek.
- Attendance at conferences e.g. 9.38 network; Proclamation Trust; North West
- Partnership events.
- A member of the church will be nominated to provide encouragement and support.
Finance and Accommodation
The post is fully funded by the Lindow Ministry Trust with a training grant. Accommodation would be in a rent-free flat or lodging with a church member. All expenses paid, including a book allowance. Ministry Trainees have 5 weeks’ holiday per year plus bank holidays
For more information and application form please contact:
Simon Gales (vicar) 137 Knutsford Road Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 6EL Tel: 01625-583251
From September 2017, for one or two years.