Ministry Training Scheme
Other / Preaching Opportunities / Youth Ministry / Student Ministry / Children's Ministry
Up to two years of ministry training experience in an exciting and vibrant South West London church seeking to bring the good news of Jesus Christ to our city and beyond.
About the Role
St Mark’s is a lively, charismatic evangelical church (Church of England) seeking to advance God’s kingdom through a Christ-centered, Bible-based, Spirit-empowered ministry.
Our three Sunday congregations attract over 450 adults, 100 children and 40 youth each week. These services are complemented by a great variety of midweek ministries.
We love to give ministry trainees the opportunity to serve in areas where their gifts and passions lie. Our diverse congregation and numerous ministries give trainees the opportunity to do just that!
Please go to www.smbr.org.uk to find out more about our vision and values and what matters to us as a church community, and what ministries you could be involved in.
Our Ministry Training Scheme
Opportunities for 2017: A one/two year traineeship of general ministry training, starting in September 2017.
Our training scheme has three basic dimensions: ministry involvement, ministry support and ministry training. These include:
- Opportunities to use and develop your distinctive gifts in a wide range of ministries.
- Opportunities to serve a huge cross-section of people, due to our thriving community ministries and London location.
- Invaluable behind the scenes insights into church leadership in a large, fun and highly collaborative staff team.
- Intensive in-house training in Bible teaching, leadership, doctrine, ethics, and evangelism.
- Preaching training and theological study through Cornhill, St. Mellitus or a personally tailored in-house study programme.
Areas of involvement include:
Children’s and youth ministry, preaching opportunities, Alpha team, Big Questions team, communications, women’s or men’s discipleship, community outreach, prison ministry, Sunday services, Church on Wednesday: a lunchtime service caring for those on the fringes of society.
Main features of the role
The aim of a Ministry Trainee is to serve the local church and community while gaining practical ministry experience. This requires a willing flexibility in all sorts of tasks. We are looking for men and women with a servant heart who are prepared to commit themselves to St Mark’s wholeheartedly, and to do whatever they can to forward the work of the Gospel here.
Trainees join a lively and enthusiastic staff team who meet to pray every weekday morning and enjoy lunch together every Monday. We are a happy team and seek to share our lives together.
Finances and accommodation
- A monthly contribution towards living costs (currently £400 pm) and accommodation with one of our church families, if required.
- Fees for regular and occasional ministry training courses up to £1200 (for one/two year apprenticeship)
- Staff training lunch fortnightly with senior staff member, staff lunch once a week with all staff.
Testimonial from current and recent Ministry Trainees:
“The training scheme at St Mark’s is a fantastic year to explore loads of different ministries within a vibrant church and community. It is a fun and stimulating environment to work in every day.” (Marcus)
“With the full support of this fantastic staff team and church I have had so many opportunities to grow in faith and to step out of my comfort zone. Wherever God leads next, I know that I have gained a wealth of experience from my time at St. Mark’s for the journey ahead.” (Emma)
“The Ministry Training scheme is truly extraordinary in the fact that the leadership team value trainees at the same level as everyone else on the staff. Over the year, I have been allowed countless opportunities to learn through new experiences and to cultivate the talents and passions already placed within me.” (Alli)
Interview & Closing Date
To apply, contact Sarah Spreckley, Operations Director, at email@example.com
Interviews will be arranged following a review of the candidate’s application. Closing date for applications is 26 May 2017.