Talk 2 from the Midlands Students Conference on 25th March 2017.
Gospel Ministry For Some
While all Christians are called to live the gospel life, some are set apart for gospel ministry
Some are paid so that gospel ministry is their main work – ‘set apart ministry’ (often called ‘full time ministry’) Acts 13:2-3
Principle: money buys people’s time so that they can be set apart for ministry. 1 Timothy 5:17-18
Principle: some Christians need to be set apart in order to equip all Christians for gospel ministry. Ephesians 4:11-16
· The Word-ministry and leadership of some… (evangelists and pastors-and-teachers)
· …enables the ministry of all
· Ephesians 2:19-20 (see also 3:5)
‘all the saints’
= all believers who are to serve and build up the church
‘evangelists, pastors and teachers’
= those with the contemporary role of communicating Scripture
‘apostles and prophets’
= those who had the unique and unrepeatable role of completing Scripture
· Word ministry – communicating the Bible to Christian and non-Christian alike – is primary for the spread of the gospel and the growth of the church
The ‘9:38 question’: How can I, as the person I am and with the gifts that I’ve got, best serve the spread of the gospel and the growth of the church in my lifetime?
· There is need, here and worldwide, for a great number of ministries – Word ministries and non-Word ministries which support and protect the Word ministry
What the difference is (and isn’t) between those who are in set apart ministry and those who aren’t
· It comes down to the person you are, with the gifts you’ve got
· 1 Corinthians 12:4-6, 14-17, 21-22
· What are those gifts?
· 1 Timothy 3:1-5
o A godly character
o The ability to teach
o A clear gospel
o A love for people
· Set apart ministers and all other Christians are in ‘partnership in the gospel’ (Philippians 1:5)
Workers for the harvest field, eds. Vaughan Roberts & Tim Thornborough, Good Book Co.
The priority of preaching, Christopher Ash, Proclamation Trust, Christian Focus Publishing
Let the nations be glad, John Piper, IVP
1 Timothy & Titus and 2 Timothy in The Bible Speaks Today series, John Stott