Youth Ministry / Music / Children's Ministry
The School Chaplain seeks to appoint an assistant to work with the school Chaplaincy Team based at Dean Close Preparatory School. This is a full time residential post for one year, with the possibility of extending to a second year.
About Dean Close Preparatory School
Dean Close Preparatory School is a co-educational Boarding and Day Preparatory School set on a beautiful 50-acre site on the edge of Cheltenham. Situated on the site are the Senior, Preparatory and Pre-Preparatory schools which share many of the fantastic facilities. The Prep School has approximately 300 children aged 7-13 years, approximately 75 of these pupils are boarders. It regards itself as a Christian school and not only are there a good number of Christian parents and staff, but also at the heart of the School’s ethos is a fundamental belief in the value and uniqueness of every boy and girl in our charge. This belief derives itself from the simple truth that everyone is made in the image of God.
As well as underpinning every aspect of school life, this belief is most predominantly lived out in the opportunity we give each child to hear the Good News of Jesus Christ and to find out more about what following Jesus means whilst they are at school.
About the Role
At Dean Close the Chaplain, The Revd John Ash, is responsible for the spiritual life of all four Schools across the Dean Close Foundation (Pre-Prep, Prep and Senior Schools on the Cheltenham site, and St John’s on the Hill, Chepstow) and has male and female Chaplain’s Assistants working with him across the Cheltenham Schools.
In the Prep School the Chaplain’s Assistants act as the permanent presence of the Chaplaincy, and work alongside the Chaplain and the many members of staff who are involved in the Christian activities at school.
Our aim here is to present the Gospel and encourage children in their relationship with Jesus in an accessible and relevant way, whether it is through our dynamic and multi-media services, more formal Chapel Services, encouraging children to encounter God in prayer meetings, in house Bible Studies, Assemblies or through the three Christian Unions (CU). (Approximately 80 children attend each week).
A large part of the job will flow from the building of good relationships with the children and staff, including in the boarding community. Being around for children at different times of the day will be vital to achieve this, as will being in the Common Room on a regular basis.
The Chaplain’s Assistant’s Duties will include:
- Helping to run the various Christian Activities in school. (three Christian Unions, a Bible study for senior forms, prayer and Bible study in the boarding houses, as well as day trips, weekends away and other special events)
- Seeking to share the Gospel with and to care for the ‘gappers’ and matrons.
- Speaking at Chapels, CU’s and Assemblies as appropriate. (Help will be given in this area as appropriate)
- To run the Yr 2 CU in the Pre-Prep with the other Chaplain’s Assistant.
- To take responsibility for co-ordinating and planning of ‘Boarders Worship’ a fortnightly 30 minute informal Sunday worship service for the boarding community.
- Helping with the administration of the Prep School Chaplaincy with regard to Services, Christian Unions, Assemblies, publicity etc.
- To visit boarding houses on a regular basis over and above any duty evenings. This role will focus on the boys’ boarding houses where the Chaplain’s assistant will mentor the boys.
- To encourage and equip staff involved in running Christian Activities.
- To build good relationships with the children, acting as a big brother/sister to them, and encouraging them to deepen in their relationships with God, or explore Christianity for themselves.
- To fulfil various school duties and be involved in the games programme as directed by the Deputy Head.
- To assist in some lessons where judged appropriate and desirable.
- Joining in with the full life of the school, which will involve day, evening and weekends duties.
- To take a part in the Chaplaincy Theological and ministry training sessions.
- A committed Evangelical Christian with a heart for children aged 7-13
- A willingness to stand up in front of groups of children to speak, lead services and Assemblies and present the Gospel in a creative way.
- Approachable and with a good sense of humour.
- Flexibility and adaptability is essential, as is the willingness to undertake additional duties and responsibilities that may arise.
- The ability to work using their own initiative and as a part of a team.
- A willingness to be involved in all aspects of boarding school life.
- Computer literate
- Sporty, preferably with the ability to help coach in hockey, netball, rugby or cricket, or at least a willingness to be involved in Games
Time is set aside each week for all of the Chaplain’s Assistants to take time for theological and spiritual development.
- The Chaplain will act as Line Manager with oversight of all commitments ensuring that a suitable balance is maintained.
- In all matters to do with the spiritual life of the School, report to the Chaplain.
- General extra-curricular and school duties will be directed by and report to the Deputy Head.
- Sports and Games Commitments will be directed by and report to the Head of Boy’s Games / Girls’ Games
Remuneration: £12,127 per annum.
Accommodation will be provided throughout the year with all meals during term-time. This post requires weekly, evening and weekend commitments during term-time. There are substantial holidays at Christmas, Easter and Summer in addition to Half Term weeks and Exeat weekends.
How to Apply
Please send a covering letter and details of two referees, along with an application form, to our HR Manager. Rev’d John Ash, Chaplain is happy to have informal conversations about the nature of the job before application. Do email him if this would be helpful.