Vacancy Search

Ministry Trainee

Preaching Opportunities / Youth Ministry / Student Ministry / Music / Children's Ministry

Summary

In providing opportunities for ministry experience our aim is to help the trainee to grow in character and skills. We seek to provide helpful feedback on the different aspects of ministry in which the trainee is involved. Normally, the trainee attends the South Central Ministry Training Course based at St.Ebbe’s for one day each week. There will be further opportunities for reading and study that will be discussed within the staff team at WRBC.

About Woodstock Baptist Church

Woodstock Road Baptist Church is situated about a mile outside Oxford city centre. We have a congregation of around 130 made up of a variety of ages and social backgrounds including families, young people and students. We also have a church plant: Grace Church Kidlington, which is just over a year old, still attached to WRBC but on the road towards independence. For more details check our website.

We are an evangelical church affiliated to the FIEC and committed to a biblical ministry. Our priorities would include the following: 

• A commitment to be shaped by God’s grace. We believe an appreciation of God’s grace in Jesus to be utterly life transforming. We want that grace to change us to be joyful servants of Christ whose life overflows in love for others inside and outside the church.
  • A commitment to reach a diverse range of people. We believe that a church which crosses social boundaries shows the power of the Gospel. The church is seeking to reach students, those in prosperous areas near the church and those on a local estate where there are significant social challenges. We believe that integrating people from different communities in one church family displays the wisdom of God.
  • A commitment to train people to handle God’s Word. The church provides training and opportunities to teach God’s Word in a variety of settings- including youth groups, small groups and preaching where appropriate. 

About the Role

We are looking for a trainee who will join us for a two year period from September 2019. Whilst we want to give the trainee experience across the range of church life, we try to tailor the role to the individual gifts and interest of the trainee. The position would suit somebody seriously considering a full-time Bible teaching ministry in the future.  

Depending on gifts, experience and interest the trainee’s role will include some of the following: 

• Leadership of one of the church youth groups (could be more if youth work was a particular emphasis of the trainee). 
  • Occasional leading and preaching at Sunday services. 
  • Assisting in the leadership of a homegroup 
  • Some 1:1 work with students and/or young people 
  • Involvement in a local community group 
  • Weekly staff meeting to review the life of the church 
  • Daily staff prayer times to reflect our dependence on God. 

In providing opportunities for ministry experience our aim is to help the trainee to grow in character and skills. We seek to provide helpful feedback on the different aspects of ministry in which the trainee is involved. 

Training 

Normally, the trainee attends the South Central Ministry Training Course based at St.Ebbe’s for one day each week. If the trainee has attended a similar course to this previously the other training options will be considered. There will be further opportunities for reading and study that will be discussed within the staff team at WRBC. 

Funding/Financial Information

The church will provide £12,800 p.a. to cover accommodation and a basic living allowance. It may be necessary for the trainee to raise a small amount themselves. If you would like further information please contact Andy Robinson or on 01865 515569. We are looking to close applications by the end of January. 

Further information from Woodstock Baptist Church

Download