When it comes to raising up the next generation of gospel workers, the local church is where the real action is and where the biblical mandate is.
One part of a church's strategy for seeking out, nurturing and training gospel workers can be a local event for those interested in exploring full-time gospel ministry.
9:38 would love to see a flourishing of church-based events across the country.
These events could take many forms:
- Weekday evening;
- Saturday morning brunch;
- Sunday lunch event;
- A dozen keenly interested folk in a living room or a much larger group in a church hall;
- A single church events or two churches in partnership or a cluster of churches working together.
The great advantages of these kind of local events are that:
- The content can be carefully tuned to the profile of your people – whether students, young professionals, early retired or whole church.
- The content can be carefully tuned to stage, needs and general level of understanding of gospel ministry. E.g. in some contexts a simple 'sowing the seed' exhortation to start thinking about how to use your life for God's glory might be appropriate, while in another context a group might like to look in-depth at the nature of gospel work, while in yet another context the real issue is 'how do I decide?'
- They can be of a length, format, style and culture that fits your context.
- They can be orientated towards the specific gospel needs in your areas and the specific outcomes you have in mind – whether a ministry apprenticeship scheme or consideration of women's ministry, eldership or pastoral ministry.
- There is easy follow-up.
- There is ownership of the event by the local church leadership.
- There is a low threshold for participation – the event is on people's doorstep and likely to be low cost.
Of course there is no need for 9:38 to be directly involved in such events. We would love them to be flourishing organically and independently across the churches in many and various forms. But 9:38 is very happy to help and encourage these sort of events through:
- Sending a speaker (the Director or another 9:38 speaker) to a church-based event;
- Meeting with church leaders and helping them think through the format of a helpful event;
- Providing resources from past events and advertising templates which can be modified and adapted as much as necessary;
- a video resource (briefly presenting the big biblical vision of the nature and urgency of gospel ministry) with accompanying short study guide that church leaders could show to a gathered group and discuss.
If you would like to talk through any of these options please get in touch.